Today I want to share with you all some of the tools I use to stay organized and inspired. I found none of these things on my own.
I either saw other friends using them Or friends recommended several of them (thanks Lisa, Fanny, Kei and others). But my experience has been that these cool things exist, but you just sorta stumble upon them. Some of these you may be super familiar with, but maybe at least one will be new for you. Many of these are also available online, on the iphone, and on the ipad.
Anyways, they're cool, and you should check them out:
1) Google Talk Ok. I know this one is pretty obvious one, but many folks who use Google Chat don't know the distinction between talk and chat. Chat pops up within your gmail, so it connects you to all of your friends that you email who also have gmail automatically. Whenever you have your gmail open you can chat within it. Google Talk utilizes all of your google chat contacts, but it allows you to download the feature to your desktop. It's very similar to the old school AOL, and the main benefit is that you don't have to have gmail open to chat with contacts. I use this on my desktop.
2) Twirl is similar to Google Chat, but it's specifically used for twitter. You can download it to your desktop and it allows you to tweet and receive tweets automatically without having to sign in to twitter.com. If you tweet, you should use this. Do you follow my tweets yet? Want to? I'm @meredithrene. I use this on my desktop.
3) Pinterest (this is the link directly to my boards. go there and follow me 🙂 ) is my new favorite thing. It's a really fun way to capture all your visual inspiration. You can download a button to your toolbar that allows you to capture any photos that you see whenever you're online that you want to save or remember. You just push the button on your toolbar when you're on a page with a photo, and then a pop-up screen opens up and allows you to choose the photo you would like to pin. You can save them (crediting the source automatically) to one of your "boards." Your boards can me any sorta of random groupings. For example I have a wedding inspiration board, a board for things i'm coveting, and a board for inspiration, etc. Then you can follow other people pins on your home page and re-pin those that you like or want to save. Take a look at my boards to get the idea, then sign up, and follow my boards, and I will follow yours! fun! I use this on my ipad, iphone and online.
4) Evernote . I'm obsessed with this site. It is a very customizable way to store notes and information for any and all things you're thinking about or want to remember. You can create notebooks to store notes re certain topics. I've got separate notebooks for the wedding (you guessed it), blog ideas, inspiration, recipes, our etsy shop, books, etc). And then you can have sub-categories too. I've got a bunch under the wedding notebook for example. And it also has a neat button you can put on your toolbar, so that if you're reading something on a site you want to remember you can highlight that information, push the button, and then you can save the exact highlighted information (with the source attached) as a note in your evernote. very cool. check it out. You won't be sorry. I use this online, on my ipad and on my iphone.
5) Hootsuite is a great platform that you can use to publish comments to your facebook, twitter, etc. simultaneously. If you have more than one twitter account or facebook page this can be really helpful. For example, I could post a message to my personal twitter account, my personal facebook page, and our etsy facebook page all with one click. It can also track your facebook and twitter action all at one time in one place. Same thing as above: use this on all three.
6) Last but not least are the fun list creating/deadline making sites. I use two and sometimes alternate for periods of time between them:
Teuxdeux is a simple list maker that is very satisfying. It's fun to check things off and add them to this handy application. You can set list items for dates in the future, and all un-done list items automatically carry on to the next day.
Remember the Milk is similar but a lot more customizable. You can have to-dos of different types with specific due dates and you can also prioritize them. This one's really great for printing to take with you also. And I really like the way the iphone app works. I would say this one takes a little getting used to, but once you do, it's awesomesauce.
summary: If you're looking for fast and simple use teuxdeux and if you want more customizable bells and whistles use RTM.
I use these on iphone, ipad and online as well.
What are some fun tools you use to stay organized and inspired?? Please comment and share!