As usual, my friday Groundhog Thoughts are a random round up of the things that have been swirling around my mind this week.
Speaking of, you know what's interesting about groundhog thoughts? Ok. follow me for a sec while I take this metaphor a bit too far.
Many of us contemplate our shadows as we think about the next step in our lives (no matter how big or small). Our shadows follow us around– a distorted reflection of our image, identity, of our self.
I guess I'm trying to be a bit bolder than your average groundhog. I won't just run when I see my shadow. I will face it and embrace it.
My Groundhog Thoughts for this week (They're much lighter than that build up-I promise):
I can't wait to be somehere like this:
I mean I am excited about the wedding and all, but I can't wait to have Viet all to myself (without access to his laptop) somewhere with just sun, sparkling waves, and without demands. I can't wait to have time to just be in the middle of blue skies and sandy beaches.
TV. We got rid of cable about six months ago, and we haven't really missed it because we watch almost everything on netflix or streaming online. Recently, I am feeling so inspired by Katharine McPhee's voice on the new nbc show Smash. I'm usually pretty loyal to ABC (love: greys, private practice, and revenge), but I've gotten swept up in the feel of making a musical and the magic of marilyn. loving it.
I've never really been a fan of The Bachelor, but my friend got me started watching it with her this season. and ya'll: it's CRAZY. but on Monday, a group of us were watching it together (OMG Courtney! and Ben's twitter feed-insane), and my friend brought up the Millionare Matchmaker Patti Stanger.
I know, I'm leaping a lot today-stay with me. I have mixed feelings about Patti, but my friend mentioned that she had read Patti's book and loved it. She told me that in her book, Patti talks about the "five non-negotiables." Patti asserts that it's important to identify the the five things in a partner that are non-negotiable.
and my friend was saying that she uses this in all other areas in her life, like the five non-negotiables for saturday or the five non-negotiables for the meeting she's walking into.
In terms of a partner, I was wondering whether my non-negotiables would be different if I was single or given my current relationship (and what that would mean if they were? unclear).
So, I'm wondering. What are your five non-negotiables?
Here are mine (I think):
1. Someone that I believe in. to my core. someone that is so good and honest and real through and through that I could/would/will always be willing to stand up/jump up to protect/defend/fight for his dreams.
2. Someone who really believes in me. and my dreams. Even the really scary Ican'ttellthistoanyoneelse dreams that seem so much bigger than me. Recently, Viet and I were on a plane, and I just started spilling this new big dream idea that I've been carrying around. I talked and talked and talked (and cried a bit while I talked–totally normal), and he simply replied, "I believe in you." the best.
3. Family. my person has to want a big family–to believe in a life filled with family, to want kids, and be willing to embrace the sacrifices that come with family.
4. Smart. my person has to have a big dreaming scary smart mind. In the case of Viet, he is smart in such drastically different ways from me, but it works. We stretch towards each other. I love that.
5. Adventure. newness. the need/craving to experience the world. to travel. to eat/drink/live new things. I need someone who shares that. who always wanted a house with secret passage ways and loved the choose your own adventure novels.
Inspiration: the must reads from my favorite blogs this week
-My dear friend and birthday twin's amazing essay on being happy. read it. srsly.
-Yesterday's post by Victoria of Vmacandcheese on the wedding planning process and moving towards "owning it" for yourself.
–This moving post from a Cup of Jo on depression and weaning. I had no idea that this happened!
-Elise's new birthday project of 27 materials. I love Elise's blog so much. It's so inspiring and lovely to me. I can't wait to read about her 27 projects this year.
Happy friday friends. It's been a crazy, stressful week for me, and I'm looking forward to the weekend.
I hope you get some time this weekend to let your mind wander.
and to face your shadow.