Happy Thursday Everyone!
I am thrilled to be sharing a
snapshot into the life of today’s Blog Crush, Emily (from Sparkle Meets Pop). I
met Emily a few months ago when my friend and Blog Crush Alum Lauren introduced us, and it
has been an absolute pleasure getting to know Emily. She is fresh and real, and she brings a bright and quite literally sparkly perspective to everything she writes about. I know you will love her blog as much as I do if you’re not an avid follower already. From interiors to fashion to the
latest must-have find, Sparkle Meets Pop is a daily burst of inspiration. I’m
so glad to have met Emily, and I’m so honored to have the chance to share a
little more about her today on Not Merely Living:
When did you start blogging and what inspired you to start blogging?
Back in the days of dinosaurs, I began blogging and it evolved to become a way to tell everyday stories and creatively express myself. It was 2002 and my then-boyfriend thought I would be good at it. I hadn’t heard of it before, but thought it could be fun. My initial blog was on a strange social network site and was pretty embarrassing. By 2003, I was just starting my journalism studies and started a slightly less emo, but still fairly embarrassing blog on Blogger. Things got better when I got my own domain in 2005 and I was determined to practice writing better for an audience. Along with my journalism major roommates, we blogged about the day’s adventures and funny mishaps with a healthy dose of Photoshopped America’s Next Top Model recaps.
Then I went and got married and along with my newlywed cousin we blogged about newlywed life on NewlyWife.com. Then, finally, 10 years or so after I first began, I started Sparkle Meets Pop. It was a long journey to get there, but finally my thoughts and style are coming out in a way that feels right.
Being able to connect with people on- and offline is by far the best part of blogging. It’s amazing to know that my little perspective of this world – be it through interiors, fashion or life stories – resonates with others and somehow we’ve carved out this amazing digital community of people who are driven to create and contribute.
The most challenging aspect of blogging is the time investment. The idea creation and execution, writing, photography and/or design, editing takes a long time and is often quickly consumed. This can be a sad and isolating thought, but the community connections more than makes up for it. I just try to do what I can and not be consumed by my drive to create.
What are a few favorite posts you’ve written recently that made you feel like Yes! that was awesome!?
I was recently invited to cohost the Pinterest Challenge with Sherry of Young House Love and Katie of Bower Power and it made my year to be able to do such a fun project alongside two of my blog idols. I also like how dressing up for The Great Gatsby and featuring fun interior spaces is helping me get out of my comfort zone.
Where do you turn for inspiration?
There are so many amazing bloggers out there that you can’t help but be inspired by what they do. I also find that going out for a hike, exploring a new area or watching an old movie all help to cut through distractions and free up some mental space to let my mind wander and imagine.
What is your favorite pair of shoes and why?
Usually my favorite pair is my newest. 🙂 These heels are a TJ Maxx find. They’re fun – a little gold, a little animal influence – and every time I wear heels I instantly feel like I can take on the world.
What was the last great book you read?
I read the Millennium series (aka The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series) a while back and was all consumed by them. This obsessive nature to finish a story scares me a bit, which means I don’t read all that often. I’m really big on podcasts, though, particularly Stuff You Missed in History Class.
What current dream or goal are you working towards (big or small)?
We’re in the process of saving for our next place and it has been a bit of a rollercoaster with bidding wars and low inventory, after a hefty buyers market. We are trying to be patient and to appreciate where we are, but I can’t help but dream of home improvement projects, decorating and getting a dog once we have a yard.
What’s your go-to meal?
Do you have a personal motto? If so, lay it on us. If not, do you have a favorite quotation or inspirational piece of art?
Who are your top five blog crushes? Is there a blogger that would you love to meet in real life?
1. Young House Love: I actually have met John and Sherry while on their book tour. Their DIY spirit is inspiring and their personal stories are so endearing. You can tell that even with all the success that they’ve had, they’re grateful, humble and still the same people you’ve grown to love.
2. Elements of Style: Erin’s sense of style is incredible and yet she’s not snobby about it. It’s the perfect mix of dreamy interior inspirations and personal stories. Plus, she has really spot on red carpet critique posts that are so fun that you’re practically watching alongside her, clinking wine glasses in affirmation.
3. A Cup of Jo: Joanna consistently brings fresh and interesting content, with simple yet poignant insights on the life of a modern woman. Classic and feminine, but not afraid to tackle certain subjects, she’d be a great person to chat with over drinks.
4. Freutcake: Leah is the cutest. She finds a way to infuse a fun and unique point of view into everything she does, be it with food, crafts or fashion.
5. Nat the Fat Rat: I love how she’s unabashedly herself in sharing her adventures in NYC. Being someone who is timidly entering into the idea of parenthood, she does it so well in her own heartfelt way and I love it.
Now you guys understand why I’m blog crushing on Emily! Don’t forget to check out her amazing blog: Sparkle Meets Pop. You can also follow her on twitter, facebook, pinterest, and instagram. Don’t be shy!
Interested in reading past Blog Crush posts? You can find them here.