Y’all. My sweet husband surprised me with a 6 day getaway to Maui for our wedding anniversary (hence my complete MIA status on the blog last week). If you follow me on instagram, you may have seen some of our adventures. I knew we were going somewhere, but I didn’t know where. Neither of us had ever been to Hawaii, and we had the. most. amazing. time. It was exactly what I needed: nice, relaxing, and stunning.
Viet’s only request was that I never say the word “babymoon” out loud, so I just hashtagged it instead. 🙂 As I was going through our photos to find some to share, I noticed a few themes:
Viet’s plan was to reveal our secret destination on the way to the airport by placing this cutie Leia doll on the dashboard. Unfortunately, his plans were slightly foiled when United sent me a flight reminder the day before our trip. 🙂 But we loved Leia so much we brought her along and grabbed as many photos of her as we could.
A few odds & ends
If you’re headed to Maui any time soon, let me share a few of our faves from the trip:
*hotel: We stayed at the Andaz Hyatt in Wailea. I highly recommend this spot. Beautiful pools, right on the beach, an easy walk/drive to other lovely Wailea hotels, restaurants, and shopping
- Road to Hana– There’s a lovely road along the Northeast corner of the island that’s a major tourist attraction. There are maybe half a dozen little hidden beaches along the road along with various trails and hikes to see waterfalls and botanical gardens (I avoided all the hikes). It’s a full day’s trip. We stopped by safeway in the morning and stocked up on lots of supplies, which is a must. We got stuff to make sandwiches, fruit, lots of water, and other snacks. We were on the road by 8:30am, and we didn’t get home til about 7. We had time to leisurely stop at the beaches and have a late lunch at the end of the road before we turned back.
- Lahaina Luau– There are lots of Luaus on the island, but this one is renowned and very traditional. Viet really planned in advance. I think it books up a few months in advance, so you want to reserve your spot early.
- Sunset Sail– There are many of these sails, but I would definitely recommend this company. The sail is very simple. They take you out so you can see the sunset, and there are snacks and an open bar (they had root beer for me :).
- Mama’s Fish House– This giant traditional restaurant is right on the beach and extremely romantic. The atmosphere alone is worth the trip, and the fish was delicious.
- Duo-Our two favorite dinner spots were both at the Four Seasons, a walking distance down from our hotel. The night we were at Duo, they had a farmer’s market style spread with all locally sourced foods. You can pick out your steak or piece of fish before it’s cooked.
- Ferraro–This place. We had a gorgeous anniversary meal here with a view of the setting sun over the ocean. They make all their pastas in house. Best Lasagne I’ve had in a long time, and I eat a lot of lasagne. 🙂
Can’t wait to go back . . .
P.S. There are 98 days and counting to my due date. . . but whose counting?