I’ve decided to document the pregnancy in the same dress throughout (the dress seems like it will be stretchy enough to make it, but keep your fingers crossed for me). This is my sixth PREGNANCY update. I’m hoping to share these updates as I go along.
It’s been a while since my last pregnancy update, and I’m excited to be checking back in. I looked back at my last post from 22 weeks, and I was surprised that I didn’t look more physically different. I feel like I’ve grown a lot these past weeks. I’ve officially entered that phase where there’s no mistaking there is a bun in this oven, and my heart is soaring. Our little girl is moving around all the time. Even if I’m busy I’m consciously feeling her several times a day and every time I feel her wiggle it’s a relief.
I’m afraid I am totally one of those annoying women who love being pregnant. I have to confess I’m not surprised. I get overly jazzed about most little things, so why should the big things be any different. Most days I want to jump up and down with joy. Most days I have these moments where I imagine holding her, and I just can’t imagine how I’ll feel. I really can’t even guess what it’s going to feel like. It’s too hard to wrap my mind around.
Tomorrow I’ll be 26 weeks, which means if the baby was born early, she would have a fairly good chance of surviving. It’s a huge relief, but It’s hard to believe that our little girl is big enough and strong enough to make it on the outside if she had to.
Although most of the time I do feel joyful about the pregnancy, I have had these big all-engulfing moments of fear and overwhelm where I of course know that my daughter is going to hate me/ that I’m going to ruin her life/ be the worst parent ever. Or that something could happen to her (those moments are the worst). I get these waves of overwhelm or fear and most of the time I end up crying, and Viet is super supportive and hugs me until I calm down. I hope I’m not alone. It feels like it’s probably partially hormones and partially just the hugeness of knowing we are going to be responsible for caring for a life. And it’s scary. I don’t feel 100% ready, but I know that we’ll do our best. These waves are few and far between, but they’re happening, so I thought I’d share.
- the bump: Definitely feels a lot bigger to me. I’m at that stage where the bump never goes away. Before I always started the day with a much smaller bump than I ended it, but now the bump is so big that it feels big even in the mornings. I can see the dimples in my side where my rib cage ends and baby bump begins. It’s kinda nuts.
- the pounds: Well. I think I’ve officially made up any ground I was behind in the weight department. When we were in Maui last week I gained five pounds in six days!! I think all the relaxing and (cough) root beer/ice cream poolside might have also helped. I’ve lost a pound or so in the few days we’ve been back, but I’m overall up to +10 pounds from my pre pregnancy weight.
- the cravings: Pretty much the same as before. Still obsessed with ice cream and swiss cake rolls. Still craving lots of fruit and almonds too now. Still loving my milk with dinner and my morning wheaties. Still super into Kale. I’ve got my glucose test on coming up on Wednesday, and I’m fascinated to see how I do.
- the clothes: I only wear maternity clothes now, and I still love them. I have a few maxi dresses (like the one in all my pregnancy pics) that aren’t maternity, but are stretchy or flow-y and still fit. In the evenings I live in maternity yoga pants and maternity tank tops.
- the exercise: I’m still making it to prenatal yoga every Monday (with the exception of last week), and I’m still failing at trying to make it twice a week. We walked a lot while we were on vacation, and I’m trying to motivate myself to walk more in the evenings and on the weekends.
- the aches: My back is still the worst. It seems to just be getting worse, but I think I’m getting used to it. That is the one thing about pregnancy that has really seriously bothered me since early on.
- movement: She’s a dancing queen. At our last ultrasounds, the bean was head down with her bum up against my belly button, and I’m starting to think she has just been that way the whole time. I’m only really feeling movement below my belly button and most of the time it’s not that strong (it feels more like a jab or elbow than a kick). So I wonder if her position is impacting the type of movement I’m feeling.
- queasiness?: Gone again. With the exception of a bit of nausea when I got too hot in Hawaii, I’m feeling pretty stable.
- gender: In case you missed it, it’s a . . . 🙂
- belly button: Still in, but it looks like it’s get closer and closer to popping ever day. I’m seeing more of the inside of my belly button then I’ve ever imagined.
- rings on?: Yep. After a long day of walking in the heat on our trip, I did have one evening when my fingers were too swollen to take my rings off. But other than that, no sign that my fingers are swollen more permanently
- Eating confessions: Without realizing it at the time, I ate a fish (Monchong I think was the name) while we were in Hawaii that turned out to be a large fish that is high in mercury. I of course freaked out afterwards, but I’m just going to lay off fish for a few weeks just to be safe.
Done (lots of new progress)
The Growing To-Do list