I’m documenting my pregnancy in the same dress throughout (the dress seems like it will be stretchy enough to make it, but keep your fingers crossed for me). This is my ninth PREGNANCY update.
We’ve spent most of the last two weeks working and traveling, so I’ve been a bit distracted.
I’ve had a few moments where I felt overwhelmed at the realization that I’m going to be a Mom! and a parent! and when I think about the big picture the weight of all the ways that I can and will make misteps feels heavy. How will I make sure she eats right, and how will I make sure that I’m a good role model, and how will I make sure she feels like she can always chase her dreams, and how will I allow her to make her own mistakes! and so many millions more like these that I’m just not sure I’m ready to tackle (could I ever be ready though?). Motherhood seems hands down like the hardest role I’ve ever taken on.
But I’m trying to focus on the small moments that are coming ahead that I know I can handle. I know I can handle the small things. I can be there to hear her and to hold her and to love her, and some way somehow I’ll figure the rest out along the way.
- the bump: Welllll, the bump has definitely taken on a life of its own. I mean, y’all. I don’t if it’s just all the beignets I ate last week or if the bean has actually had a growth spurt, but dang. I’m finally feeling preg-nant. In the past, I think I’ve mentioned that even up to a week or so ago, I would have stretches of time where I forgot I was pregnant. no more. There’s no forgetting this bump!
- the pounds: Ok. Full disclosure. So far I’ve gained just over 20 pounds. Yep, I gained another 5 pounds in two weeks. Now, to be fair, I just weighed in the day after getting back from vacation. For 10 days out of the past two weeks we were in vacation mode, and I’ve had my fair share of treats. This puts me a little bit ahead of where I should be with weight gain I think at this point, but I have a feeling that once I get back into my eating routine (bring on the Kale! pour the Wheaties!) my weight may even out a bit. and if it doesn’t? who cares! I’m feeling good. 🙂 I feel like the bean is growing steadily, and my body feels great. I don’t feel like I’m putting on a lot of extra weight in non baby places.
- the cravings: well. While I was on vacation I had quite a few Dairy Queen dip cones, beignets, and cherry popsicles. oh and french onion dip. yeahhhh. They were a fun five pounds. 🙂
- the clothes: Dressing myself is getting trickier. A lot of my maternity clothes don’t fit anymore, and it’s even harder to dress for work.
- the exercise: With all our travel, I’ve been seriously missing my yoga. Looking forward to getting back to it this week.
- the aches: Eh. It’s getting a bit worse again. Especially at night. My back pain is waking me up now. I’m hoping that I’ll sleep better now that I’m back in my own bed. There were several pretty restless and painful nights while we were on vacation.
- movement: The beans movement have probably been the biggest change in the past two weeks. She is active. The movements are bigger, stronger, and a lot more frequent. and all over, up high, down low, you name it. And I love the movements, but sometimes they take my breath away (literally).
- queasiness?: mostly none
- gender: In case you missed it, IT’S A . . .
- belly button: hmm. It’s a fickle one. It seems to be back in for now. stay tuned.
- rings on?: yes but while we were in hot houston and hot new orleans they definitely started feeling a bit snug
- Eating confessions: see cravings
Designed and printed Thank You notes! Check
Said goodbye to Scratch’n —This one literally broke my heart. Viet handled it just like I asked him to. I didn’t want to say goodbye to her. I asked him just to take her one day while I was at work. He took her to the local SPCA (they have a strict non-kill policy and a great track record for adoptions). I knew this was going to happen, and I thought I was ok with it because of course the most important thing to me is the bean’s safety, and Scratch’n has always been very aggressive and possessive of me. But I had no idea how hard it would actually be for me. I spent several days breaking out into tears. I can’t believe I’ll never see her again. I’m still a bit in shock.
Got a bunch of stuff off of our registry! (thanks friends and fam!) Check
Got a few prints framed for the nursery (thanks mom) Check
Made a plan to make my own thank you cards Check
Picked out our new couches! Check
Got a Crib from Viet’s sister (thanks, Thao!) Check
Bought a dresser for the nursery (Thanks, hubs!) Check
Started to get advice on birth plans from other moms Check
Got rid of the extra couch that was in the nursery Check (Thanks, hubs!)
Cleaned out the office to start the nursery transformation Check
Bought doors for our shelves so that we could move them to the living room and out of the office Check
Started working on Finished the registry! Check
Made a real plan for the nursery and the rest of the apartment Check
Reached out to my mom friends to start gathering registry ideas. Check
Started gaining weight. Check
Found a prenatal yoga class. Check
Bought Maternity clothes (I’m obsessed). Check
Daydreamed about nursery decor. Check
Created a few pregnancy and baby PINBOARDS. Check
The Growing To-Do List
Make a list of my favorite baby books and kid books to build our collection