Total Crafting Time: about 1 hour
Tip: use straight pins to keep the layers together as you sew
I had a bunch of extra felt lying around from the other birthday decor and some ribbon, so I gave it a try.
- 2 8.5 x 11 pieces of yellow felt
- 1 piece of orange felt
- 1 yard of green satin ribbon
- sewing machine or needle and thread
- Cut the Crown. Start by cutting into the short edge of the two felt pieces. Cut a simple crown shape my cutting a short peak, a higher peak, and then a second short peak.Real Talk: I held the two pieces together as I cut, and I eye-balled it. I wasn’t aiming for perfection. They weren’t 100% perfect, but it was easy to trim the larger piece to match the smaller piece.
- Cut the other pieces. Cut a circle out of the orange felt and cut 20 or so tiny orange felt strips that will turn into the sun rays. Cut three small yellow strips to make the number 1. Cut a yard long strip of green satin ribbon and then cut it in half.
- Sew. Place the end of one half of the ribbon in between the two of the short, flat edges. Sew along the short edge trapping in the ribbon. Continue to sew along the edge of the crown, up and down the peaks. Don’t worry if the edges aren’t 100% aligned. When you get to the second short edge, put the second end of ribbon in place and then sew along it. Then sew along the long edge. Sew the circle on next, then do a few single stitches on each of the rays to hold them in place. Sew the three #1 pieces on last.
- Trim. Trim any uneven edges and trim the ends of the ribbons so they’re nice and neat.
The crown didn’t stay on perfectly all the time, but it held up pretty well. It didn’t seem to bother her because it was so soft.
Hope this helps anyone else looking for a last minute birthday crown!
I think it would be easy to make this in many different colors and with different themes. I could easily see a crown with a heart on front or just a big one if you don’t have a sunshine theme.