Hey there, 2nd trimester! I remember you.
In some ways pregnancy this time around has been pretty similar to the first time. The first trimester was a nail biter. I had a bit of a scare like I did when I was preggers with Bean, and I mostly felt like I was holding my breath just hoping that everything would be ok.
Some days I am so excited I can’t believe we’re having a second baby! I can’t wait for Bean to have a brother or sister (I’m calling the baby her bro-sis). I can’t wait to hold and love and care for another tiny babe.
and some days I think, are we nuts?! I remember how hard (and amazing) the first few months were, and I try to wrap my mind around how we’re going to go through all of that with our toddler running around, climbing and deconstructing everything she can get her hands on.
But I know we’ll figure it out. We always do.
- the bump: You guys! It is so much larger this time around. I started showing about six weeks earlier than I did last time. I’ve always heard you show sooner with your 2nd baby, but man! In some ways, this has been really nice. It’s a reminder that the baby is here and growing and that I’m really pregnant. In others ways, it’s been a little bit overwhelming. All of a sudden it was like, wham, you’re preggers!
- the pounds: I gained about 3 pounds in my first trimester. With Bean, I lost weight (7 lbs!) in my first trimester, so I’m interested to see if I’m going to gain more weight with this pregnancy. I’ve been eating a lot of sweets over the holidays, but I’m generally a pretty healthy eater.
- the cravings: not really anything. I’m not as interested in chocolate as I would expect.
- the clothes: I’ve been in maternity jeans for a while now. still wearing all of my normal tops.
- the exercise: hoping to start prenatal yoga today.
- sleep: I’m still sleeping somewhere between my side and stomach. I’m feeling like I’m almost ready to break out the bumpnest.
- the aches: my back pain is backkkk. I’m pretty much expecting to have it throughout this pregnancy like last time.
- the swelling: not yet
- movement: I was shocked that I started to feel movement so early this time. lots of little flutters.
- unexpected: last time my placenta was in the front, so I didn’t feel Bean move until 21 weeks. This time my placenta is on the bottom/back, so I think that’s part of the reason I’ve felt the Biscuit so much. I had some pretty scary bleeding about two weeks ago, and when I went it they said it was because of my low-lying placenta. The doc said that in 85% of cases the situation resolves itself as the baby grows, but if it doesn’t there’s a chance I could deliver early. I’m not supposed to do any type of rigorous exercise or lift anything heavy.
- queasiness?: still a few waves now and then, but I think I’ve mostly moved out of the morning sickness stage.
- gender: We find out in about 3.5 weeks!
- belly button: in.
- rings on?: yep
- Eating confessions: lays and sour cream and onion chips. dang you, holidays.
- New weirdness: nothing so far
start knitting the Biscuit’s blanket
figure out, what, if anything we’ll need this time around
start doing some daily squats
We are so excited you are on the way! Just keep growing, and I’ll keep you safe. Your dad has named you Biscuit while you’re on the inside (just like he called your sister Bean when she was in my belly).
You are so loved, always,