I am large and in charge, friends.
Today marks the beginning of my 35th week. Here I am yesterday, winding up the end of my 34th week. I would say that means I’ve got six weeks to go, but I have a strong feeling I’m not going to make it all the way to 40 weeks.
I have this feeling for a couple of reasons: 1. Last time Bea came a week early. I had been feeling stretching and like my body was getting ready a few weeks in advance. I’m already feeling that stretching and prepping feeling a few weeks earlier than last time.
2. Here’s the thing: I feel much larger than I did at this point last time. Here I am at about the same point in my first pregnancy:
I think it’s not all in my head. I think I am actually larger this time. In the first few months people told me it’s always that way with second babies because your ab muscles are stretched from the first pregnancy. But at this point it feels a little bit more than just my stretched ab muscles–it feels like I’m carrying this baby a bit like a torpedo.
My guess is that this little guy may be a little bit larger than Bea. She was only 5 lbs, 13 ounces. Maybe he’s going to be more like a 7 pounder. I’m keeping my fingers crossed he’s not a 9-10 pounder. Viet was 5.5 pounds at birth, and I was 7.5 pounds. I’m hoping he’s somewhere in between those two.
At my next appointment I’ll have an ultrasound (the last one was at 18 weeks!), and they’ll check to make sure this guy is head down. I’m just crossing my fingers that carrying him like a torpedo isn’t a sign that he’s breech.
He is also so much more active than I ever remember her being. We are in full alien phase around here. You can definitely see his movements on the outside. He’s throwing elbows (or knees? or feet?) like he’s playing in the NBA finals. It makes for quite a distraction during work meetings.
All in all, I would say that the first half of the 3rd trimester has been relatively kind to me given all that I’ve put myself through. I really knew better than to take four trips in the past six weeks. I made it through unscathed, but it’s taken a toll on me. I’m feeling heavy and tired now. This weekend was the first weekend we’ve been all together at home in many long weeks, and it was nice to finally start to recharge. I officially started nesting, and I’ve suddenly realized that I’m not quite as physically able as I would like or hope to be.
I’m going to have to do a much better job at resting and taking care of myself and not pushing myself too hard. :/ Shocker.
I started back at yoga last week, but I think I might have strained a muscle or something because I had some sharp pelvic pains for a few days after that. I’m going to try to get back to it this week.
- the bump: torpedo
- the pounds: It’s fluctuating daily, but when I checked this morning I was up 26 pounds. It’s a few pounds more than where I was at this point last time, but it also seems (as much as I can tell?) like it’s mostly in my mid-section.
- the cravings: this week it was cheesy spatzle.
- the clothes: Some of my maternity tops don’t fit well anymore. :/ It’s going to be a long 5-6 weeks.
- the exercise: Like I mentioned, getting back to prenatal yoga.
- sleep: I’m sleeping pretty well. Surfing time zones wasn’t fun, and I think my sleep patterns are still a little confused. Every so often I wake up around 3 or 4 and can’t get back to sleep. Other than that, the bump nest is the best.
- the aches: My sacrum is still my greatest source of discomfort. As I’m getting larger it’s getting a bit worse, but I’m managing.
- the swelling: I’ve had some swelling on hot days (fingers and ankles), but it’s not too bad.
- movement: alien phase. see above.
- unexpected: my hair! it was so amazing last time, and it has returned to that pregnancy rock star glory.
- queasiness?: none
- gender: In case you missed it, IT’S A . . .
- belly button: It’s as if it never existed.
- rings on?: nope. I had to take them off this week. I was trying to keep wearing them, but last time I think I wore them a bit too long. This time I’m all about comfort. I’m rotating some of the rock star rings my mom has handed down to me.
- Eating confessions: hm. I’m not very good at lots of small meals.
- New weirdness: waddling. I’m in the waddling phase.
* Paint Pancho’s name sign
* Choose a name
* Set up the bassinet
start knitting the Pancho’s blanket. Just two more skeins! I love this blanket so much.
figure out, what, if anything we’ll need this time around We’ve got a short list. I don’t think we’ll need too much extra this time around. Just a few replacement items. We’ve ordered almost all of the big things on our list (momaroo, owlet (so cool), and mesa carseat). Now we just need to pick up some clothes and other small items.
buy a double stroller done! and WE LOVE IT! It was definitely a splurge, but I’m so happy with it.
keep up with prenatal yoga
start doing some daily squats (<- Ha)
We are so excited to meet you. We can’t wait to see what you’re like and to welcome you to our crazy, fun family. Keep growing and moving in there, little guy!
You are so loved, always,