Hooray for 2017!
2016 was a very special year for our family because sweet little August joined us. We still have a lot to learn about how to be a family of four without losing our sanity, but we sure our enjoying ourselves along the way.
For the past several years I’ve been choosing one word to focus on for the year. I’ve used this word to guide my head and my heart.
In 2016 I didn’t really follow through with my plan to focus on learning new areas. It was ambitious and I got a little swept up in making and then caring for our little babe. I forgive myself. 🙂
In 2017, I want to shed all parts of my life that are lived in autopilot. If I do something without thought or care, it’s probably not the best way I could be doing it. So I want to take stock of the big and little things in my life this year and make purposeful changes.
One thing I’ve asked myself and Viet a lot this year is the following question: Are we being intentional about x_______? Most often when something feels off in our life, it’s because we’re just pulling things together the best way we can by our guts without taking the time to talk through our values, how they relate to said thing, and make a plan.
An old coworker of mine used to say: plan the dive, dive the plan. It’s time for us to be more intentional. This applies to big things like how I (we) parent, how I manage my relationships, how I care for myself, but also to the every day–what’s my intention for today? why am I prioritizing this time for x? what do I hope to accomplish with this project? By asking myself these sorts of questions, I can make sure I’m prioritizing what’s really essential and making the most of my time.
In general, here are some of my goals for the year:
- Intentionally create a vision for the lifestyle I want, which I think looks a lot like:
- continue to prioritize self care (I’ve started getting more regular facials and mani/pedis. these are game changers for me)
- read more, watch less (always this.) I’m currently reading a Man called Ove (for my bookclub), and I’ve started the Throne of Glass series for funnies.
- make more (I’ve got a list of at least a dozen creative projects I want to tackle this year. Time to make a plan.)
- be smarter and more intentional about how I use my time
- prioritize sleep
- start a daily meditation practice
- keep writing to my littles and keep documenting them
- bike to work
- practice active gratitude (I’m going to share these daily on instagram)
- drink less wine. sigh.
- see if there is any way to build yoga into my weekly schedule and try to build in some daily calisthenics
whew. just a few aspirations for the new year 🙂
Cheers to you all!